Boston man pleads guilty to third federal bank robbery charge | USAO-MA


BOSTON — A Boston man pleaded guilty today in Boston federal court to the April 2020 robbery of a Boston branch of Santander Bank.

Dennis C. Taylor, 49, pleaded guilty to one count of bank robbery. U.S. District Court Chief Judge F. Dennis Saylor IV set his sentence for June 15, 2022. Taylor was arrested and charged by criminal complaint on November 4, 2020, and later indicted by a federal grand jury November 12, 2020.

On April 29, 2020, an individual – later determined to be Taylor – wearing a dark hooded jacket, blue latex gloves and a face mask entered a Santander Bank branch on Massachusetts Avenue in Boston where he approached a cashier and asked for money. The teller handed Taylor some cash from his drawer, which he placed in a white plastic bag before exiting the bank. Included in the money was a red dye pack. Surveillance cameras on Massachusetts Avenue captured video of Taylor exiting the area and running towards a local parking lot as the red dye pack exploded into a plume of red smoke. During a subsequent search of the parking lot, law enforcement recovered a white plastic bag containing cash stained with red dye and a pair of blue latex gloves. The gloves matched Taylor’s DNA profile.

Taylor was previously convicted of federal bank robbery in 2004 and again in 2010. In 2010, Taylor was sentenced to 10 years in prison and three years of supervised release for the December 2009 robberies of a Rockland Trust bank and a TD bank in Yarmouth.

The bank robbery charge carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, three years of probation and a fine of up to $250,000. Sentences are imposed by a federal district court judge based on sentencing guidelines and other statutory factors.

United States Attorney Rachael S. Rollins; Joseph R. Bonavolonta, special agent in charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Boston Division; and Boston Police Acting Commissioner Gregory Long made the announcement. Assistant U.S. Attorney Kenneth G. Shine of Rollins’ Major Crimes Unit is prosecuting the case.


Comments are closed.